Monday, December 24, 2007

AmazonKindle Review : " Great Device. Early Adopter Price."

By Richard Powell (Louisville, Ky USA)

I can honestly say that I'm extremely satisfied with my AmazonKindle. The screen (arguably the largest point of judgement for an eBook reader), matches or betters the contrast that I find in my newspapers and paperback books, so it's more than suitable for everyday bulk reading. The physical design, while not necessarily a beauty pageant winner, is highly functional and mostly unintrusive (with one exception, noted below). The included book cover protects the device well, although the method of securing the Kindle to the cover feels slightly unstable. The best part about this device, however, is the always-on wireless. The ability to have my newspapers and magazines electronically delivered to my device without my intervention is truly convenient. I've been waiting for something to do this for some time, and the fact that the AmazonKindle does not even require a PC connection makes it that much more streamlined.

There are some bads, however. The biggest are the side buttons (for page turning). While I love the tactile feedback these buttons provide (they have a nice 'click'), I dislike the fact that they're too easy to hit by accident. I cannot attach the included book cover, open the battery / memory door, or hand it to someone else to show it off without accidentally turning a page. I love the buttons, but I question their placement. This does not become an issue once you learn to lock the device before you do any of the above, so it's a minor quibble, but a quibble nonetheless.

The second, and larger, issue is the price. It's steep. The books and content aren't bad, however. Most of those match or beat the actual in-store prices for most of the books that I read, so that's a BIG plus. However, the base cost for this type of device is high. It's definitely in the "early adopter" category.

In closing, I really like the Amazon Kindle, and I recommend and show it to anyone who shows an interest (which has been everyone who's seen it). I would like to see the service take off, but I know that there will need to be more early adopters before the device will become enough of a commodity that the price can be lowered. Here's to hoping for success!

------------

As promised, I bring you the good and the not so good about AmazonKindle and where to buy amazon kindle Right Now. What's important is that you are informed before you make up your mind. See you next on the next AmazonKindle review.

No comments:

Keegy

Sites We Trust